- This event has passed.
RVA Software Development User Group
May 21 @ 6:15 pm - 7:45 pm
Our presenter for the evening is Dr. Miriam Friedel, Head of Data Science at Skafos (https://skafos.ai/).
Software Engineers and Data Scientists necessarily have different approaches to Machine Learning, sometimes putting them at odds; however, successfully applying ML requires both groups. Understanding both how a Machine Learning model works and how its predictions can be integrated into a product (and thus made useful) are equally critical. The next wave of applications will run on machine learning, so both developers and data scientists will need to be well versed in what it means to deploy models to the edge. In this meetup, we will highlight:
– An introduction to Machine Learning Deployment
– Why a walking skeleton is more important than a perfectly trained model
– Special considerations for ML on Edge Devices
– Use Case: Using an Image Classification model to detect Poison Ivy in an iOS app
– Use a pre-trained model to build an app that can distinguish Cats and Dogs
– Highlight how Juypter Labs can be used to replace the training data and retrain the model to identify Poison Ivy
– Push the retrained model to the app in real time